Never use a big word when a diminutive exression will suffice

Thursday, November 16, 2006

how ok is it to have multiple personas?

I act differently around different people. I don't act the same around my flatmates as my brother as my best friend as my teachers etc. To some extent, this is very necessary. I could not get away with being my complete, crude, sarcastic, and rude self around my boss, and likewise, i can leave some of my niceties, sweetness, and hesitation when its just me and sara.

this goes for unintentional differences as well. the online persona that people exude on aim or blogs may not accurately represent their complete self, partially because people feel more open about certian topics and more restricted about others online. so should i just assume that any online character i encounter is not a complete representation of that person and discount that persona, or maybe just take it with a grain of salt. on the other hand, people write hurtful things onnline sometimes, should they get away with it just because its online and it has the possibility of misinterpretation?

likewise, shouldn't we grant people we know the ability to change themselves around others? i wouldnt expect my flatmates to act the same way around just me as they do around me and my parents. and isnt that ok? people should be given the freedom to have these different base states that depend on the environment and company.

i should be writing my paper, instead i'm playing carrie bradshaw and trying to extrapolate the events in my life to bigger questions. back to the paper i guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home