Never use a big word when a diminutive exression will suffice

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

On disorientation

Recently the universe has been disorienting. It's not exactly against me, not really for me, just trying to screw me up and see how I'll handle it.

Cons:
1) I got lost on the CTA today. I thought I knew where I was going, but when I looked up from my newspapaer, I didn't recognize where I was at all. I ended up going in the wrong direction on a street I am very familiar with and then realizing my mistake and making it home after a bit. Also, walking home I saw another bus I am very familiar with en route along a street I am positive it does not travel. Perhaps I should be more observant of where I am at any given point in time.
2) Time will speed up or slow down just when you want it to do the opposite. This is one of those things that everyone knows to be true but is always surprising when it actually happens.
3) Everyone is sick and I'm having to pay particular attention to not get sick myself. This involves hand-washing, eating lots of oranges, wearing a facemask like a surgeon, and general avoidance of other people...or at least the first two. Sick people are not particularly good at life, they are focusing all their attention on staying coherent which is enough of a struggle, you know the feeling.
4) I have a midterm tomorrow. It's gonna be tough.
5) One really really great friend is choosing something that does not seem to be the best option available. There is a sight, postsecret.blogspot.com that is truly amazing, and one of the quotes sums up the situation very well: "Sometimes we build up walls. Not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to knock them down." Unfortunately, I dont have time or energy to care enough tonight, it's just bad timing. Luckily I have other good friends (as does he) who will step in.

Pros:
1) Teachers like me: I got an extension on a a paper (I have reasons to believe others were denied) for a day so I dont have a midterm and a paper on the same day, got over a b+ on the paper I turned in late for last quarter and a b+ in the course, and got 100% on my participation for statistics even though there was something wrong for nearly every one of the assignments i turned in (wrong problem, missing parts, done incorrectly, etc).
2) My friends love me, one in particular has been particularly amazing today and tonight. another is being a little more than slightly self-destructive, but its because of insecurity or something that is forgivable if not acceptable. Every so often its nice to hear things out loud.
3) I can land on my feet, think on my feet, and other spontaneous things. I got two thumbs up on a spontaneous analysis of a print in art history, i can answer questions in class, i can find my way home after randomly becoming lost.

...I think I passed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home